Afar from the brute noise of clamorous needsSavitri
The quieted all-seeking mind could feel,
At rest from its blind outwardness of will,
The unwearied clasp of her mute patient love
And know for a soul the mother of our forms.
In 1947, an exquisite statue of The Mother, crafted by Shri Nitai Pal, was installed in Shri Pramod Chandra Chand's residence at 10, Park Side Road, Calcutta, with The Mother's blessings.
The Mother's statue was worshipped there until it was handed over to Lakshmi's House by Shri Debajyoti Chand. Thus on 30th January, 1998, The Mother's statue came home to 3, Regent Park, Calcutta - "The Mother's own house in Calcutta" .
Thereafter it underwent repairs and restoration work under the able care of Smt. Uma Siddhanta.
On 21st February, 1998 - the 120th Birth Anniversary of The Mother - amidst the scented mist of glowing joss-sticks, fragrance of flowers, offerings of devotional songs, recitation of poetry and adoration of Her children, The Mother's statue was installed near the "Sacred Relics" at Lakshmi's House by Smt. Uma Siddhanta and Shri Manindra Rajvanshi.
As if a weapon of the living light,Savitri
Erect and lofty like a spear of God.
His figure led the splendour of the morn.
On 15th August 1948, this statue of the Lord was taken out in a procession from
Hazra Park, Calcutta.
In the early 1980s, a Divine "lila" (play) brought it to Lakshmi's House, where it was installed in the Meditation Room.
This life-size bronze statue of Sri Aurobindo was installed at Lakshmi's House on 15th August 2004.
The statue is sculptured by Shri Niranjan Pradhan.
All extracts and quotations from the written works of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother and the Photographs of the Mother and Sri Aurobindo are copyright Sri Aurobindo Ashram Trust, Pondicherry -605002 India.
All other Rights and Content Reserved - Copyright © Sri Aurobindo Institute of Culture (SAIoC).